Ir al contenido principal.
Enlaces relacionados:  Press Room  Company  Clients  Contact us
Solsoft

Forum

GNI is NOT Isis


Author Message
Written on: 19. 05. 2005 [05:26]
paul@malete.org
Klaus Ripke
Topic creator
registered since: 31.12.1969
Posts: 0
hi

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 03:59:16PM -0700, Roger Pe=F1a wrote:
> could you please give details of why the "Isis Comunity"
> make you discard the ISIS name from the project?

After four years during which I tried to give something
to "the ISIS community", this "community"
(which essentially are the parties ruling the world summit,
and thereby dictating^H^H^H^Hdirecting what "ISIS" will be)
did not only show zero interest in this offer,
but quite to the opposite is more hostile than ever,
even than Abel Packer's flame.

We have seen how rudely Roger and Braulio have been
attacked by Adalberto in La Havana two years ago,
because "open source changed sort" (ohmygod!),
we heard the anti-FOSS flames of Spinaker,
and two years later, the exact same dudes are going
to repeat this orgy. I really don't need that.


I feel like in this wicked little village in a Stephen King
movie, where if you see those old cowboys gather and mumble
something how somebody paid by their taxes is about ruin
their business of selling whatever they have been selling,
you know, it's time to leave. Right now and in a hurry.
Do not wait to the morning, as by then,
you already might have fallen victim to the body snatchers.


The end of Unix, as owned today by the a*beep*s of SCO,
began when some people felt the need to keep nothing more than
an "U", as in GNU is NOT U*beep*. A great development started,
no longer bound by fruitless discussions with the likes of
Bell Labs and the regents of the university of california.
Linux, although not being GNU, is not Unix either.
Today I couldn't care less about AIX, HP-UX and all the crap.
It's just dead. And likewise I don't give a flying *beep*
about whether a powerful database supports the weirdest
"formatting language" on earth.


Now IMHO it's time to stop trying to be a better or next
I-this, eye-that, I*beep*, stop beating a dead horse,
it's time for something like GNI is NOT I*beep*.
(Which unfortunately is not available as a domain,
it pronounces so nicely as genie icon_smile.gif.
So the I*beep*s can continue to pursue their business,
desperate as they apparently are,
sucking the bucks out of developing countries for ludicrous
"solutions" in order to pay some taxes in Nueva York
(from where the dosh does not even make its way to UNESCO).


To summarize, this is no end, it is a beginning.
I am feeling free and invite you to join.


saludos

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Written on: 19. 05. 2005 [09:34]
orkcu@yahoo.com
Peña
registered since: 31.12.1969
Posts: 0
--- Klaus Ripke <paul@malete.org> wrote:
> hi

> We have seen how rudely Roger and Braulio have been
> attacked by Adalberto in La Havana two years ago,

I meet Adalberto in BIREME, I work with him, we went
to drink beer icon_smile.gif, he is not a bad guy, I was shock
when he express in this way i Havana meeting but then
I understand that that is his character, the way he
express his filling icon_smile.gif, so , I am not offending icon_smile.gif

but I do not agry with BIREME position, and not with
adalberto either, and I always try to convince them
when I had the chance, I also talk about it with Abel,
diring last INFO congress in havana last year, he look
friendly, about the openess of isis, to me

but ..
> because "open source changed sort" (ohmygod!),
> we heard the anti-FOSS flames of Spinaker,

Spinak also? what about IsisMarc?? is GPL, is it?

I think all is about the C-library, the botton
functions, the one who interact with isis db, the same
leve as OpenIsis is, what make them afraid icon_frown.gif

but ...

> Now IMHO it's time to stop trying to be a better or
> next
> I-this, eye-that, I*beep*, stop beating a dead
> horse,
> it's time for something like GNI is NOT I*beep*.
> (Which unfortunately is not available as a domain,
> it pronounces so nicely as genie icon_smile.gif.

GREAT, GREAT idea
formidable!!!

>
>
> To summarize, this is no end, it is a beginning.
> I am feeling free and invite you to join.

of course I will be in this "aventura" icon_smile.gif
count me icon_smile.gif

yesterday I was talking with Mabel, my wife, and we
agry that the FLOSS is the right way, and because of
are convinced that it the right way, we are 100% with
you

roger


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Written on: 19. 05. 2005 [13:20]
anton@ines.org
anton auer
registered since: 31.12.1969
Posts: 0
PHP-Malete <php@malete.org> on Thu May 19 2005 at 15:34 +0000 wrote:
>of course I will be in this "aventura" icon_smile.gif
>count me icon_smile.gif
>
>yesterday I was talking with Mabel, my wife, and we
>agry that the FLOSS is the right way, and because of
>are convinced that it the right way, we are 100% with
>you
>
>roger
>

thank you,

a silenty suffering spectator/user in italy

anton
( anton auer - bz - italy )

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Written on: 19. 05. 2005 [13:22]
braulio
Braulio Solano Rojas
registered since: 16.05.2008
Posts: 2
icon_biggrin.gif

> a silenty suffering spectator/user in italy
>
> anton
> ( anton auer - bz - italy )

So Klaus, I think I am right when I say that there are people (a lot)
silent... but that likes your software.

How many people are subscribed to php@openisis.org?

B.

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Written on: 19. 05. 2005 [13:43]
israel@FEE.TCHE.BR
Israel Jose Cefrin da Silva
registered since: 31.12.1969
Posts: 0
# So Klaus, I think I am right when I say that there are people (a lot)=20
# silent... but that likes your software.
I can say I like and want spread it.

icon_biggrin.gif

=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D=
-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D
=A0Israel Cefrin
=A0t=E9cnico webdesigner
=A0=A0=A0 israel @ fee.tche[dot]br
http://www.fee.tche.br
http://www.fee.rs.gov.br
msn:isra_rs@hotmail.com
=A0=A0=A0 icq:74378983
=A0=A0=A0 +55 51 3216 9084 - work
=A0=A0=A0 +55 51 8421 7888 - cel
=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D=
-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Written on: 19. 05. 2005 [19:01]
paul@malete.org
Klaus Ripke
Topic creator
registered since: 31.12.1969
Posts: 0
On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 11:22:11AM -0600, Braulio Jos=E9 Solano Rojas wrote:
> So Klaus, I think I am right when I say that there are people (a lot)=20
> silent... but that likes your software.
It should be much more, I mean like really MUCHO, like think MySQL.

That's why I stopped, finally and completely
to take care of demands of morons which finally
won't use the crap anyway, let alone contribute,
but focus on people not asking me about winisis.

The principles of CDS/ISIS at the real existing
WinIsis-forever community is pearls at swine.

So that those who want a database will get a database,
incredibly fast and rock solid.


> How many people are subscribed to php@openisis.org?
38 right now, including you and me

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Written on: 20. 05. 2005 [09:16]
orkcu@yahoo.com
Peña
registered since: 31.12.1969
Posts: 0
--- Klaus Ripke <paul@malete.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 11:22:11AM -0600, Braulio
>
> That's why I stopped, finally and completely
> to take care of demands of morons which finally
> won't use the crap anyway, let alone contribute,
> but focus on people not asking me about winisis.
>
> The principles of CDS/ISIS at the real existing
> WinIsis-forever community is pearls at swine.
>
> So that those who want a database will get a
> database,
> incredibly fast and rock solid.

yesterday night I was tried but still want to look at
malete, my first time sorry icon_frown.gif, I was trying to
figured out if we can developed a php-malete module,
just like the php-openisis module, I know that I can
connect from php to the malete server but ... having a
malete library of function might be a good thing, it
would be helpfull for clients GUI I think, or even the
php interaction should be faster
maybe putting a malete.dll will "encorouge" (anime)
developers contruct GIU clients like they do with
isis.dll

what do you think?

I add the "-shared" to the gcc line and got a library,
but it was just a test and I don't know hot to used, I
didn't had time and enegy to try to find out what was
the functions similar to isis_open, isis_close,
isis_terms an so on

recomentations?

roger
PD: well, we have to work hard to involve more people
but 38 users is great amount to start a project icon_smile.gif
PD2: I like GNI (genee) more than OSIRIS, even if the
GNI domain is taken, I found this:

GNi:
http://www.netoptex.com/managed_servers.php


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Written on: 20. 05. 2005 [09:38]
paul@malete.org
Klaus Ripke
Topic creator
registered since: 31.12.1969
Posts: 0
hola

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 06:16:17AM -0700, Roger Pe=F1a wrote:
> figured out if we can developed a php-malete module,
> just like the php-openisis module, I know that I can
> connect from php to the malete server but ... having a
> malete library of function might be a good thing, it
> would be helpfull for clients GUI I think, or even the
> php interaction should be faster
> maybe putting a malete.dll will "encorouge" (anime)
> developers contruct GIU clients like they do with
> isis.dll
well, there are people in Kiev building a GUI right now
using wxWidgets and good ol' openisis 0.8.something.


> what do you think?

Anyway, yes, but there are some issues:
a) better wait for Selene to arrive,
it's made for Lua integration and thus much better
suited for integration in general, also with PHP.
We'll have our first Selene based project next month.
b) neither Malete nor Selene are multithreading-save per se.
Use in MT environments requires some explicit mutex
(whatever the environment provides) per database.
This affects e.g. mod-php in MT Apaches.

Besides that, it will be pretty straightforward,
and for the most part, we should be able to keep the
interface of PHP-OpenIsis unchanged
(with some extra functions added).


> I add the "-shared" to the gcc line and got a library,
might also require -fPIC on some platforms

> the functions similar to isis_open, isis_close,
> isis_terms an so on
see malete.c, but even easier with Selene.

> PD2: I like GNI (genee) more than OSIRIS, even if the
there are about 26 xNI recursive acronyms available icon_smile.gif


saludos

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Written on: 20. 05. 2005 [16:52]
braulio
Braulio Solano Rojas
registered since: 16.05.2008
Posts: 2
Hi.

I've benn taking a look at the code too. Malete has changed totally the
api. Therefore creating an extension would require a complete rewrite.

Klaus Ripke dijo:
> hola
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 06:16:17AM -0700, Roger Peña wrote:
>> figured out if we can developed a php-malete module,
>> just like the php-openisis module, I know that I can
>> connect from php to the malete server but ... having a
>> malete library of function might be a good thing, it
>> would be helpfull for clients GUI I think, or even the
>> php interaction should be faster
>> maybe putting a malete.dll will "encorouge" (anime)
>> developers contruct GIU clients like they do with
>> isis.dll
> well, there are people in Kiev building a GUI right now
> using wxWidgets and good ol' openisis 0.8.something.

wxWindows is a better solution that php-gtk (very heavy) and it is very
portable.


>> what do you think?
>
> Anyway, yes, but there are some issues:
> a) better wait for Selene to arrive,
> it's made for Lua integration and thus much better
> suited for integration in general, also with PHP.
> We'll have our first Selene based project next month.

If the api is going to change again it is indeed better to wait for Selene.

> b) neither Malete nor Selene are multithreading-save per se.
> Use in MT environments requires some explicit mutex
> (whatever the environment provides) per database.
> This affects e.g. mod-php in MT Apaches.

I had solved that, but it is not published anywhere... since it would mean
more support to something experimental. PHP takes care of mutex depending
on the environment (cgi, apache, iis, etc.).

Writing should be enabled on compilation only when:

#ifdef ZTS

> Besides that, it will be pretty straightforward,
> and for the most part, we should be able to keep the
> interface of PHP-OpenIsis unchanged
> (with some extra functions added).

It can be done implementing aliasing.

>> I add the "-shared" to the gcc line and got a library,
> might also require -fPIC on some platforms
>
>> the functions similar to isis_open, isis_close,
>> isis_terms an so on
> see malete.c, but even easier with Selene.

Anyway, better wait for Selene.

Bye.

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Written on: 20. 05. 2005 [18:46]
paul@malete.org
Klaus Ripke
Topic creator
registered since: 31.12.1969
Posts: 0
hola

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 02:52:56PM -0600, Braulio Jos=E9 Solano Rojas wrote:
> I've benn taking a look at the code too. Malete has changed totally the
> api. Therefore creating an extension would require a complete rewrite.
right.
However, in some aspects Selene will be a little bit
closer to the initial API (in some even further away).

> Klaus Ripke dijo:
> wxWindows is a better solution that php-gtk (very heavy) and it is very
> portable.
d'accord.
But if you consider php-gtk 1.2 heavy,
you haven't seen php-gtk 2?

Only two positive aspects come to my mind about php-gtk (1.2):
- It's pure C, thus no C++ headaches like which particular
version of IO-streams the stuff has been compiled with.
(The Linux version of isisdll is a poor example for
these C++ problems).
- It's AFAIK the only PHP GUI binding
(most scripting languages bind to Tk,
but I couldn't find a php-Tk).
Besides, right, it's crap.

But so is almost all of GUI land.
Most is C++, unfortunately including wxWidgets and FLTK,
and almost all follow an unbearable programming paradigm
=66rom stone age somewhere between Win 3.1 and Mac II
(Tk still being comparably clear, Gtk particularily ugly).

> If the api is going to change again it is indeed better to wait for Selen=
e.
yep

> I had solved that, but it is not published anywhere... since it would mean
I remember I saw it ...

> more support to something experimental.
=2E.. that's the kind of consideration why we dropped MT support.

> It can be done implementing aliasing.
si, no problemo


cheers

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail



User login

Enter your username and password here in order to log in on the website:
Login

Forgot your password?


Copyright © 2003-2009, Solsoft de Costa Rica S.A.
Declaración de privacidad