Ir al contenido principal.
Enlaces relacionados:  Prensa  Compañía  Clientes  Contáctenos
Solsoft

Foros

Re: problems on PHP 4.2.2


Autor Mensaje
Escrito en: 13. 06. 2003 [11:05]
braulio
Braulio Solano Rojas
Autor del tema
registrado desde: 16.05.2008
Entradas: 2
Hi!

Actually I think the platform is the problem. I have been trying to use
OpenIsis 0.8.8 with the extension on windows without success. The library
compiled with Mingw did not work. Now I am using the 0.8.8 version compiled
with MS VC by Serhij and it works fine (this is not a shared library,
therefore OpenIsis.dll would not be needed). However, it works with the PHP
CGI, but as a module with Apache 2.0 for Windows, it makes Apache crash.
With Unix there is not this kind of problems.

Another problem is the lack of documentation for developing PHP extensions.

I will try to have some packages for installation because I have added some
new functionality, but you'll have to wait, because I have not finished. I
have added for instance the function "boolean isis_mfn_data_seek(resource
isis_result, int mfn_number)". I am also trying to add read/write using
System V IPC from PHP for Unix, and for Windows you'll have to wait.

Therefore, I am working on the extension, but to have distributions for Unix
and Windows at the same time is trouble and not easy. And the kind of bugs
that appear with cross-platform development are not easy to find. For
instance sometimes the expected behaviour is different on both platforms.

Regards,

Braulio

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Peña Escobio" <roger@infomed.sld.cu>
To: "PHP-OpenIsis" <php@OpenIsis.org>
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 7:26 AM
Subject: Re: problems on PHP 4.2.2


> Mensaje citado por Klaus Ripke <paul@OpenIsis.org>:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > from several testing I would highly recommend 4.3.2
> > (the final version from end of May).
> > seems to be less buggy than usual.
> > Probably this also is the last 4.* and 5.0 will introduce lots of new
bugs.
> >
>
>
> hi klaus, i had the same problem with php-openisis, it wasn't the php, it
was the
> php-openisis library, the last one, me and a friend of mine had the same
problem, i try
> the first one and it works.
> i notice that the dll is a much more small.
>
> but because i need the last develope i swith to linux and start working
with it
>
>
> roger
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Nodo central de la red Infomed (http://www.sld.cu)
> Usuario linux: 97152 (http://counter.li.org)
> Miembro del grupo de coordinacion de LinuxCuba (http://www.linux.cu)
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------
> Este mensaje fue enviado usando el servicio de correo en web de Infomed
> http://webmail.sld.cu
>

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Escrito en: 13. 06. 2003 [11:27]
roger@infomed.sld.cu
Roger Peña Escob
registrado desde: 31.12.1969
Entradas: 0
Mensaje citado por Braulio José Solano Rojas <braulio@solsoft.co.cr>:

> Hi!
>=20
> Actually I think the platform is the problem. I have been trying to use
> OpenIsis 0.8.8 with the extension on windows without success. The library
> compiled with Mingw did not work. Now I am using the 0.8.8 version compiled
> with MS VC by Serhij and it works fine (this is not a shared library,
> therefore OpenIsis.dll would not be needed). However, it works with the PHP
> CGI, but as a module with Apache 2.0 for Windows, it makes Apache crash.
> With Unix there is not this kind of problems.
>=20
> Another problem is the lack of documentation for developing PHP extensions.
>=20
> I will try to have some packages for installation because I have added some
> new functionality, but you'll have to wait, because I have not finished. I
> have added for instance the function "boolean isis_mfn_data_seek(resource
> isis_result, int mfn_number)". I am also trying to add read/write using
> System V IPC from PHP for Unix, and for Windows you'll have to wait.
>=20
> Therefore, I am working on the extension, but to have distributions for Unix
> and Windows at the same time is trouble and not easy. And the kind of bugs
> that appear with cross-platform development are not easy to find. For
> instance sometimes the expected behaviour is different on both platforms.
>=20

thanks braulio

is good to hear those news=20


roger


> Regards,
>=20
> Braulio
>=20
> ----- Original Message -----=20
> From: "Roger Peña Escobio" <roger@infomed.sld.cu>
> To: "PHP-OpenIsis" <php@OpenIsis.org>
> Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 7:26 AM
> Subject: Re: problems on PHP 4.2.2
>=20
>=20
> > Mensaje citado por Klaus Ripke <paul@OpenIsis.org>:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > from several testing I would highly recommend 4.3.2
> > > (the final version from end of May).
> > > seems to be less buggy than usual.
> > > Probably this also is the last 4.* and 5.0 will introduce lots of new
> bugs.
> > >
> >
> >
> > hi klaus, i had the same problem with php-openisis, it wasn't the php, it
> was the
> > php-openisis library, the last one, me and a friend of mine had the same
> problem, i try
> > the first one and it works.
> > i notice that the dll is a much more small.
> >
> > but because i need the last develope i swith to linux and start working
> with it
> >
> >
> > roger
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Nodo central de la red Infomed (http://www.sld.cu)
> > Usuario linux: 97152 (http://counter.li.org)
> > Miembro del grupo de coordinacion de LinuxCuba (http://www.linux.cu)
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------
> > Este mensaje fue enviado usando el servicio de correo en web de Infomed
> > http://webmail.sld.cu
> >
>=20


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Nodo central de la red Infomed (http://www.sld.cu)
Usuario linux: 97152 (http://counter.li.org)
Miembro del grupo de coordinacion de LinuxCuba (http://www.linux.cu)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
=20

-------------------------------------------------
Este mensaje fue enviado usando el servicio de correo en web de Infomed
http://webmail.sld.cu

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Escrito en: 13. 06. 2003 [11:27]
roger@infomed.sld.cu
Roger Peña Escob
registrado desde: 31.12.1969
Entradas: 0
Mensaje citado por Braulio José Solano Rojas <braulio@solsoft.co.cr>:

> Hi!
>=20
> Actually I think the platform is the problem. I have been trying to use
> OpenIsis 0.8.8 with the extension on windows without success. The library
> compiled with Mingw did not work. Now I am using the 0.8.8 version compiled
> with MS VC by Serhij and it works fine (this is not a shared library,
> therefore OpenIsis.dll would not be needed). However, it works with the PHP
> CGI, but as a module with Apache 2.0 for Windows, it makes Apache crash.
> With Unix there is not this kind of problems.
>=20
> Another problem is the lack of documentation for developing PHP extensions.
>=20
> I will try to have some packages for installation because I have added some
> new functionality, but you'll have to wait, because I have not finished. I
> have added for instance the function "boolean isis_mfn_data_seek(resource
> isis_result, int mfn_number)". I am also trying to add read/write using
> System V IPC from PHP for Unix, and for Windows you'll have to wait.
>=20
> Therefore, I am working on the extension, but to have distributions for Unix
> and Windows at the same time is trouble and not easy. And the kind of bugs
> that appear with cross-platform development are not easy to find. For
> instance sometimes the expected behaviour is different on both platforms.
>=20

thanks braulio

is good to hear those news=20


roger


> Regards,
>=20
> Braulio
>=20
> ----- Original Message -----=20
> From: "Roger Peña Escobio" <roger@infomed.sld.cu>
> To: "PHP-OpenIsis" <php@OpenIsis.org>
> Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 7:26 AM
> Subject: Re: problems on PHP 4.2.2
>=20
>=20
> > Mensaje citado por Klaus Ripke <paul@OpenIsis.org>:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > from several testing I would highly recommend 4.3.2
> > > (the final version from end of May).
> > > seems to be less buggy than usual.
> > > Probably this also is the last 4.* and 5.0 will introduce lots of new
> bugs.
> > >
> >
> >
> > hi klaus, i had the same problem with php-openisis, it wasn't the php, it
> was the
> > php-openisis library, the last one, me and a friend of mine had the same
> problem, i try
> > the first one and it works.
> > i notice that the dll is a much more small.
> >
> > but because i need the last develope i swith to linux and start working
> with it
> >
> >
> > roger
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Nodo central de la red Infomed (http://www.sld.cu)
> > Usuario linux: 97152 (http://counter.li.org)
> > Miembro del grupo de coordinacion de LinuxCuba (http://www.linux.cu)
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------
> > Este mensaje fue enviado usando el servicio de correo en web de Infomed
> > http://webmail.sld.cu
> >
>=20


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Nodo central de la red Infomed (http://www.sld.cu)
Usuario linux: 97152 (http://counter.li.org)
Miembro del grupo de coordinacion de LinuxCuba (http://www.linux.cu)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
=20

-------------------------------------------------
Este mensaje fue enviado usando el servicio de correo en web de Infomed
http://webmail.sld.cu

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Escrito en: 13. 07. 2003 [21:41]
braulio
Braulio Solano Rojas
Autor del tema
registrado desde: 16.05.2008
Entradas: 2
Hello!

I've been thinking about this.

I was thinking that I better do an extension capable of creating an Index's
Yaz client and I forget about Isis. That would be a better abstraction.
You could use the Z39.50 protocol with OpenIsis or any other server having
that protocol. (A Z39.50 server is planned at OpenIsis)

I've been thinking a lot about this. Also I commented to Klaus that maybe I
could program into the extension the classes they made in PHP and he told me
that I could also:
<<<<<<<- provide a class Isis_Local, which can be attached to
Isis_Db as server, but directly passes the requests to
lsdpProcess
- possibly provide a faster/cheaper implementation of
Isis_Rec using the original C record.>>>>>>>

And I was thinking about it, about how to start that, but then I thought
about a new project. Since Z39.50 is for information retrieval, you could
program a server with modules for what you need. A server that you could
attach OpenIsis IR, Vectorial Model IR, Neural Networks IR, Bayesan Networks
IR, etc. And maybe you could have PageRanking, Stemming (n-grams, etc.),
etc., all the IR stuff. But everything would be configurable, modular.
Therefore depending on your needs, vertical IR, horizontal IR, XML, etc.,
you could choose what modules and what algorithms to apply.

Am I dreaming? I don't know. It seems to me like a very big project. I
also don't think that I can start that alone. I would need other people
working with me and financing. But first, do a risk management analysis.
Anyway, I am still thinking (I am too dreamer sometimes, more in the moon
that in earth, one of my university math professor used to call me martian
and astronaut, and I had no clue why, years after I knew why, another math
professor told me that I was always thinking about a girl, but it was not my
fault, math were the classes more easy to not pay attention and dream).

Well I live you with those thoughts...

Regards,

B.

P.S.: I am also doing a big effort to bring this company:
http://solsoft.co.cr to life and takes me a lot of time.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Peña Escobio" <roger@infomed.sld.cu>
To: "Php-openisis" <php@openisis.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 3:50 AM
Subject: primera version del servidor de base de datos isis ?


>
> hi, i just check the openisis page and notice that 0.9.0 version is out
with the first
> (?) isis db server, braulio, do you have plans to use this aproach in the
php module?
>
> it should be interesting icon_smile.gif
>
> best regards
> roger
> PD: how was the conference in T&T ?
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Nodo central de la red Infomed (http://www.sld.cu)
> Usuario linux: 97152 (http://counter.li.org)
> Miembro del grupo de coordinacion de LinuxCuba (http://www.linux.cu)
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------
> Este mensaje fue enviado usando el servicio de correo en web de Infomed
> http://webmail.sld.cu
>

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Escrito en: 13. 07. 2003 [21:41]
braulio
Braulio Solano Rojas
Autor del tema
registrado desde: 16.05.2008
Entradas: 2
Hello!

I've been thinking about this.

I was thinking that I better do an extension capable of creating an Index's
Yaz client and I forget about Isis. That would be a better abstraction.
You could use the Z39.50 protocol with OpenIsis or any other server having
that protocol. (A Z39.50 server is planned at OpenIsis)

I've been thinking a lot about this. Also I commented to Klaus that maybe I
could program into the extension the classes they made in PHP and he told me
that I could also:
<<<<<<<- provide a class Isis_Local, which can be attached to
Isis_Db as server, but directly passes the requests to
lsdpProcess
- possibly provide a faster/cheaper implementation of
Isis_Rec using the original C record.>>>>>>>

And I was thinking about it, about how to start that, but then I thought
about a new project. Since Z39.50 is for information retrieval, you could
program a server with modules for what you need. A server that you could
attach OpenIsis IR, Vectorial Model IR, Neural Networks IR, Bayesan Networks
IR, etc. And maybe you could have PageRanking, Stemming (n-grams, etc.),
etc., all the IR stuff. But everything would be configurable, modular.
Therefore depending on your needs, vertical IR, horizontal IR, XML, etc.,
you could choose what modules and what algorithms to apply.

Am I dreaming? I don't know. It seems to me like a very big project. I
also don't think that I can start that alone. I would need other people
working with me and financing. But first, do a risk management analysis.
Anyway, I am still thinking (I am too dreamer sometimes, more in the moon
that in earth, one of my university math professor used to call me martian
and astronaut, and I had no clue why, years after I knew why, another math
professor told me that I was always thinking about a girl, but it was not my
fault, math were the classes more easy to not pay attention and dream).

Well I live you with those thoughts...

Regards,

B.

P.S.: I am also doing a big effort to bring this company:
http://solsoft.co.cr to life and takes me a lot of time.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Peña Escobio" <roger@infomed.sld.cu>
To: "Php-openisis" <php@openisis.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 3:50 AM
Subject: primera version del servidor de base de datos isis ?


>
> hi, i just check the openisis page and notice that 0.9.0 version is out
with the first
> (?) isis db server, braulio, do you have plans to use this aproach in the
php module?
>
> it should be interesting icon_smile.gif
>
> best regards
> roger
> PD: how was the conference in T&T ?
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Nodo central de la red Infomed (http://www.sld.cu)
> Usuario linux: 97152 (http://counter.li.org)
> Miembro del grupo de coordinacion de LinuxCuba (http://www.linux.cu)
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------
> Este mensaje fue enviado usando el servicio de correo en web de Infomed
> http://webmail.sld.cu
>

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Escrito en: 25. 07. 2003 [01:19]
braulio
Braulio Solano Rojas
Autor del tema
registrado desde: 16.05.2008
Entradas: 2
¡Hello!

> yesterday nigth i start to test php-openisis-1.0.3-pre i found that my php
script didn't
> work as shoul be, a close look inside isis.c show me why, i think you miss
the right '}' icon_smile.gif
>
> here are the details (diff isis.c isis.c-ori) :
> 650a651,652
> > result->index++;
> > openIsisMFree(row);
> 652,653d653
> < result->index++;
> < openIsisMFree(row);

Actually you are doing nothing here. Your still inside the for, the if is
for protection. As you can see openisisReadRow return an OpenIsisRec or
NULL, if row not available. That is why the two above instructions are
inside the if.

> another thing that i found was that the
while($record=isis_fletch_flat_array($result))
> didn't run for the iteration, but
> for ($i=1; $i <= isis_num_rows($result), $i++ ) {
> $record=isis_fletch_flat_array($result)
> do it right
>
> is it ok?

No. I have sent twice an e-mail with this example:

<table>
<?php

$dbid = isis_open("/var/db/isis/cds/cds");

$result = isis_search("$",$dbid);

while ($record = isis_fetch_flat_array($result) ) {
print (" <tr><td colspan=\"2\">MFN: $record[mfn]</td></tr>\n");
for ($i=0; $i<count($record)-1; ++$i) { //-1 because mfn is +1
list ($tag, $value) = $record[$i];
// Another way to do the above line
//$tag = $record[$i][tag];
//$value = $record[$i][val];
print (" <tr>\n".
" <td>$tag</td>\n".
" <td>".htmlspecialchars($value)."</td>\n".
" </tr>\n");
}
}

?>
</table>

Maybe you are having troubles with your mail server or maybe mi server did
not work.

> i will continue testing, i notice that you include isis_write
> the argument array record is in the same format that klaus show in
Isis_PHP scripts ?

If you took a good look at the code, you should have seen that I have
started to code but this is not quite finished. I also have sent an email
before to this list and I did not say anything about writing because I have
not finished. Therefore I still have don't have comments about this
function.

> another thing that i have being getting is that the function
isis_fletch_array, not always
> but sometime, didn't show all the rows that the record has, i didn't
investigate so much
> because you say that this function will be deleted in the future but
should be interesting
> to know why this behaivor.

I never said that I will remove the isis_fletch_array function. I actually
said the contrary. You are wrong.

> another, and i promise this will be the last icon_smile.gif, there is any limitation
in the number of
> digits that the tag record number can have? in some records i have
something like
> 2521 <whatever>
>
> this field was written by mistake when i use wxis and mus IsisScript
missup something, but
> the problem is that openisis show me this number as:
> 252 <whatever>
>
> and my db field are between 1 and 999 icon_smile.gif, so it became and important
mistake icon_frown.gif
>
> any report of this?

About this I don't know maybe I'll check later. But as far as I know this
kind of tags should be right. Maybe Klaus can give us a hint with this.

Regards,

B.

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Escrito en: 25. 07. 2003 [01:30]
braulio
Braulio Solano Rojas
Autor del tema
registrado desde: 16.05.2008
Entradas: 2
Hi again!

> i was looking inside isis.c and notice that isis_mfn_data_seek is not
exactly what
> mfnrange is.

I never said that.

I sent an email to the list saying this:

**************************************************************
isis_mfn_data_seek() example (I think that is what you wanted):

function mfnrange($db, $from, $count)
{
$dbid = isis_open($db);
$result = isis_search("$",$dbid);
if (!isis_mfn_data_seek($result, $from))
return FALSE;

$i = 0;
while ($record = isis_fetch_array($result))
{
echo "<pre>" . var_dump($record) . "<pre><br />";
$i++;
if ($i > $count)
break;
}
}

**************************************************************

Please if you are not getting the emails tell me. I am now cc'ing you.
Hope this time you will read this and comment about it.

> isis_mfn_data_seek has two arguments, isis-result and mfn-number, and from
my short
> programer's vision, the intention was to duplicate the isis_data_seek
function but in this
> case the row number is a mfn number, but i can't see the point of doing
that.... icon_frown.gif

See above the example.

> what i think is necesary is, knowing the MFN number get the data, without
make a search or
> any thing like that, that is what mfnrange do.

If you only want a row by MFN, do a search by MFN. If you want several rows
the above function will do rigth.

> i think it is important to have that function because is the short and
less expensive way
> to list records, and you need to list records sometimes.

This is short. Less expensive than what? I have experience with inverted
indexes, and that is why openisis outperforms mysql. I think this could
still be what you call less expensive.

Have a good night.

B.

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Escrito en: 28. 07. 2003 [10:03]
roger@infomed.sld.cu
Roger Peña Escob
registrado desde: 31.12.1969
Entradas: 0
Mensaje citado por Braulio José Solano Rojas <braulio@solsoft.co.cr>:

> ¡Hello!

thanks you Braulio
but ...

>=20
> > yesterday nigth i start to test php-openisis-1.0.3-pre i found that my php
> script didn't
> > work as shoul be, a close look inside isis.c show me why, i think you miss
> the right '}' icon_smile.gif
> >
> > here are the details (diff isis.c isis.c-ori) :
> > 650a651,652
> > > result->index++;
> > > openIsisMFree(row);
> > 652,653d653
> > < result->index++;
> > < openIsisMFree(row);
>=20
> Actually you are doing nothing here. Your still inside the for, the if is
> for protection. =20
> As you can see openisisReadRow return an OpenIsisRec or
> NULL, if row not available. That is why the two above instructions are
> inside the if.

you are right, those instruction are inside the "if(row)" but outside the "for (i=3D0;
i<row->len; i++)", i don't know why i get the error, that was solve when i move this two
line outside the "if" (???!!!)

i was so foolish that i didn't look twice when i see that everything goes fine. grrr

now i have a new version of clabel but i have a doubt icon_frown.gif
clabel-0.2.0 is working preaty well but ....

>=20
> > another thing that i found was that the
> while($record=3Disis_fletch_flat_array($result))
> > didn't run for the iteration, but
> > for ($i=3D1; $i <=3D isis_num_rows($result), $i++ ) {
> > $record=3Disis_fletch_flat_array($result)
> > do it right
> >
> > is it ok?
>=20
> No. I have sent twice an e-mail with this example:
>=20
> <table>
> <?php
>=20
> $dbid =3D isis_open("/var/db/isis/cds/cds");
>=20
> $result =3D isis_search("$",$dbid);
>=20
> while ($record =3D isis_fetch_flat_array($result) ) {
> print (" <tr><td colspan=3D\"2\">MFN: $record[mfn]</td></tr>\n");
> for ($i=3D0; $i<count($record)-1; ++$i) { //-1 because mfn is +1
> list ($tag, $value) =3D $record[$i];
> // Another way to do the above line
> //$tag =3D $record[$i][tag];
> //$value =3D $record[$i][val];
> print (" <tr>\n".
> " <td>$tag</td>\n".
> " <td>".htmlspecialchars($value)."</td>\n".
> " </tr>\n");
> }
> }
>=20
> ?>
> </table>
>=20

yes, it is simple, i looks very similar to my example code but it didn't work icon_frown.gif



> Maybe you are having troubles with your mail server or maybe mi server did
> not work.
>=20
> > i will continue testing, i notice that you include isis_write
> > the argument array record is in the same format that klaus show in
> Isis_PHP scripts ?
>=20
> If you took a good look at the code, you should have seen that I have
> started to code but this is not quite finished. I also have sent an email
> before to this list and I did not say anything about writing because I have
> not finished. Therefore I still have don't have comments about this
> function.

you will have it soon icon_smile.gif
but you didn't awnser me, what is the format of the array? some example, just a simple one icon_smile.gif
=20
>=20
> > another thing that i have being getting is that the function
> isis_fletch_array, not always
> > but sometime, didn't show all the rows that the record has, i didn't
> investigate so much
> > because you say that this function will be deleted in the future but
> should be interesting
> > to know why this behaivor.
>=20
> I never said that I will remove the isis_fletch_array function. I actually
> said the contrary. You are wrong.
>=20
wrong about what i undertood that day? the day when you introduce the
isis_fetch_flat_array function? or wrong about the behaivor of the function ?, i remenber
that Israel, another list member, had a same result with a author db that he has.
so, we two icon_smile.gif


> > another, and i promise this will be the last icon_smile.gif, there is any limitation
> in the number of
> > digits that the tag record number can have? in some records i have
> something like
> > 2521 <whatever>
> >
> > this field was written by mistake when i use wxis and mus IsisScript
> missup something, but
> > the problem is that openisis show me this number as:
> > 252 <whatever>
> >
> > and my db field are between 1 and 999 icon_smile.gif, so it became and important
> mistake icon_frown.gif
> >
> > any report of this?
>=20
> About this I don't know maybe I'll check later. But as far as I know this
> kind of tags should be right. Maybe Klaus can give us a hint with this.
>=20

yes, hope to hear from him soon, but are you experience this problem too? displaying tag
numbers bigger that 999 ?


again, thanks braulio for your big work and for your reply

roger


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Nodo central de la red Infomed (http://www.sld.cu)
Usuario linux: 97152 (http://counter.li.org)
Miembro del grupo de coordinacion de LinuxCuba (http://www.linux.cu)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
=20

-------------------------------------------------
Este mensaje fue enviado usando el servicio de correo en web de Infomed
http://webmail.sld.cu

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Escrito en: 28. 07. 2003 [10:43]
roger@infomed.sld.cu
Roger Peña Escob
registrado desde: 31.12.1969
Entradas: 0
Mensaje citado por Braulio José Solano Rojas <braulio@solsoft.co.cr>:

> Hi again!
>=20
> > i was looking inside isis.c and notice that isis_mfn_data_seek is not
> exactly what
> > mfnrange is.
>=20
> I never said that.
>=20

again i read to fast icon_frown.gif
i was "perjuiciado" by the e-mail that you send when i posted the function that i use
you said that the function name was wrong and you said that a better name should be=20
but, you are right again icon_smile.gif

what you said was (30/05/2003):
"> It could be. I will look at your code. However I was hoping that someone
> was going to program a mfnrange function with the basic functionality
> provided or suggest another basic function needed to program mnfrange in
> PHP. I thought about it and it was not that hard. That is why I had no
> answered to your wishlist. Maybe the function needed was something like
> isis_mfn_data_seek to start retrieving records from some MFN.
"
but what you sujest is not elegant icon_smile.gif
i suspect, not test it yet, it will not work and if it work for the first 999 rows ii will
be slow

why i thing that, because:
> $result =3D isis_search("$",$dbid);

this search will show the first 999 rows no more than that, acording to klaus, which i
consider right when he introduce a security top limit.

> if (!isis_mfn_data_seek($result, $from))
> return FALSE;

this will be slow, at least more that a variation of isis_fetch_array
that time i make a propouse, and now you include a new C function in the module
my function is simple, take isis_fetch_flat_array and took away the first "if", this one:
"if (result->index < result->set.len)" and then, when yo define the variable "row" replace
the argument of the function openIsisReadRow ( "result->set.id[result->index]" ) by the
the MFN that you want to retrive

just that, is very simple, what do you think?





> **************************************************************
>=20
> Please if you are not getting the emails tell me. I am now cc'ing you.
> Hope this time you will read this and comment about it.
>=20
> > isis_mfn_data_seek has two arguments, isis-result and mfn-number, and from
> my short
> > programer's vision, the intention was to duplicate the isis_data_seek
> function but in this
> > case the row number is a mfn number, but i can't see the point of doing
> that.... icon_frown.gif
>=20
> See above the example.
>=20
> > what i think is necesary is, knowing the MFN number get the data, without
> make a search or
> > any thing like that, that is what mfnrange do.
>=20
> If you only want a row by MFN, do a search by MFN. If you want several rows
> the above function will do rigth.
>=20

here is where my lack of knowleage: how do you search just be a MFN ?

> > i think it is important to have that function because is the short and
> less expensive way
> > to list records, and you need to list records sometimes.
>=20
> This is short. Less expensive than what? I have experience with inverted
> indexes, and that is why openisis outperforms mysql. I think this could
> still be what you call less expensive.

i don't want to compare isis vs SQL that is unfair icon_smile.gif, i want to compare isis vs isis icon_smile.gif

thanks a lot for all you work


roger

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Nodo central de la red Infomed (http://www.sld.cu)
Usuario linux: 97152 (http://counter.li.org)
Miembro del grupo de coordinacion de LinuxCuba (http://www.linux.cu)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
=20

-------------------------------------------------
Este mensaje fue enviado usando el servicio de correo en web de Infomed
http://webmail.sld.cu

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
Escrito en: 28. 07. 2003 [12:07]
braulio
Braulio Solano Rojas
Autor del tema
registrado desde: 16.05.2008
Entradas: 2
Hi!

> but what you sujest is not elegant icon_smile.gif
From your point of view?

> i suspect, not test it yet, it will not work and if it work for the first
999 rows ii will
> be slow
No it will not be slow, however it will be memory consuming. There are
three tune up for efficiency: memory, simplicity and velocity. I always go
first with simplicity. Then in speed. At last memory. In computing
usually when you gain in speed you loose in memory, and when you gain in
memory you loose in speed. The way to do things is to program first and to
attack performance later. Of course that does not mean that you are going
to do things the worst way at first. But you don't start tuning up your
software because you can do worse than you wanted. And if design is good
you will have an easy job I think. Maybe if someone disagrees, that person
could add his opinion.

...
> just that, is very simple, what do you think?
Yes you are right, it is simple. But you are changing the behavior of
already established function. I will add today a function to retrieve only
one record by MFN. I think that is what you wanted from the beginning.

> i don't want to compare isis vs SQL that is unfair icon_smile.gif, i want to compare
isis vs isis icon_smile.gif
OK! But do it. Do profiling. Send numbers to this list. Don't just start
to say: "It is slow, and I think it is because...". Say: "I have done a
research and I have this comparision, in this hardware, I obtained these
numbers: ..."

Please be a little bit more formal. Don't get me wrong. I like you giving
life to this list!

Best regards,

B.

------------------------------------------
Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail



Iniciar sesión de usuario

Introduzca su nombre de usuario y contraseña para iniciar su sesión en el sitio web:
Iniciar sesión

¿Ha olvidado su contraseña?


Copyright © 2003-2009, Solsoft de Costa Rica S.A.
Declaración de privacidad